Built of red sandstone, Fortrose Cathedrals’ construction commenced in the year 1250, originally rectangular in shape, roughly 185ft long and 25ft wide. Bishop Robert of Ross was granted permission by Pope Alexander IV to choose a site, to build a new Cathedral to replace the Church of St Peter which was situated in Rosemarkie.
Additions to the Cathedral took place over the next 200 years, with a tower, chapel and the south aisle been constructed in the 1400s.
The Cathedral fell out of use after the Reformation in 1560, with the Cathedral falling into disrepair quite soon after, as Lord Ruthven was given permission to use the lead from the roof.
In the 1650s parts of the sandstone building were removed to build Cromwell’s Citadel in Inverness, sealing the fate of a wonderful Gothic building.
All that remains now is the Chapter house, chapel and South Aisle. Although the remains of memorials to many notable local figures can be seen, such as Major General Sir Alexander Mackenzie.